Thursday, November 12, 2009

Read 'n' Seed 4: Third quarter of "Don't Eat This Book, Fast Food and the Super Sizing of America"

Chapters and Pages
For the third quarter of Read 'n' Seed I read chapters 9-12, pages 130 to 198.


Main Topics
One main topic was a study done by Morgan Spurlock, he left some fast food restaurant foods in a jar. Most of the foods in the jars took a while to go bad, with the french fries lasting the longest. It turned into a joke between him and his friend to leave food, specifically fast food, in each others desk. Most of the time the food was found when it started to smell. In another instance food was found after one Morgan Spurlock had left the company, the food had been placed there at least eight months before, the food was not discovered because of the smell but simply because the other person was looking in his desk for an item behind books. This item behind the books that had been there for at least eight months was a cheeseburger from McDonald's. It lasted that long without smelling, that is not normal. It was stated in the book that it lasted that long because of the added chemicals.
Another Main topic was how Morgan Spurlocks 30 day diet had been going. Spurlock complained of his chest feeling heavy, headaches until he ate the food again,and zits and pimples on his face. These reactions were all within the first week of Spurlocks attempt at 30 days of McDonald's. A rather funny part of this book is that a lot of the words he uses start with Mcblank, for example his 30 day diet is called the McMonth. 
The book also suggested the next time you get a burger from your favorite fast food joint, scrape off the added toppings take of the bun and see what the burger actually looks like. Does it look like that normal burger that you cook up on the grill.


Terminology
I did not have any terminology so instead I made this an interesting fact. Most American's don't know the basics about their health, including what a calorie is. A calorie is a measure of the energy content of food. One calorie, the kind that you usually see when you see the caloric content on food labels, is the amount of energy that's needed to raise the temperature of a liter of water by one degree centigrade (Source: Marion Nestle, nutritionist).


Implications
This is very important of society to know, because although this food may make your headache go away, that headache is only being caused as a result of eating the fast food. I think this is also important to realize because as people eat this food more and more they will be think it is normal and not seek any care or change their eating habits.

4 comments:

  1. I can relate to this, I remember getting headaches from fast food before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think fast food is gross in general. When I was a kid I use to eat it all the time and felt horrible and all my friends and I use to get a kick out of it. Now that I am edcuated with fast food I barely touch it and my body feels alot better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember getting happy meals every weekend when I was a kid. The thought of McDonald's now is pretty disgusting to me.

    ReplyDelete