Thursday, October 22, 2009

Reflection Post: Week 5 & 6

In the fifth week of Environmental Health we watched a movie called The Future of Food. I found this movie to be very interesting and eye opening. I could not believe how much is going on that I simply am unaware of. The main point of the movie was about a big company called Monsanto who was suing large land farmers for infringement on their patent. They were able to do this because it is a law that you can patent almost anything. I also was shocked how many of the people that worked for Monsanto went back and forth between Monsanto and The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Linda Fisher was one of these people and I think that she actually went from Monsanto to the EPA to Monsanto to the EPA, now who knows where she is working.
In the sixth week of Environmental Health we watched a movie called Diet for a New America. Although the movie was over 15 years old, many of the facts are still present today. Not a lot of people are changing their ways even though more of America is becoming obese. The movie was mainly given from a man who chose not to take his fathers famous ice cream business and set out to do other things like create more awareness of what is going on in America. I found this movie to be interesting. I don't think America will be doing much changing in regard to the weight issue because it has been 15 years since this movie and it seems we aren't any healthier, if anything may be a little more unhealthy. We also learned how to put a picture in the main box of our blog page. I took my picture when I was at Gooseberry Falls this Fall. It is fun to look at everyone's pictures they put up on their blog.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah I also had a hard time realizing how much is going on that were not aware of. its crazy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was interesting in the second film to see how obesity was an issue 15 years ago and has continued to be one of the biggest issues our country is faced with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah those videos we watched were very interesting with a lot of troubling statistics.

    ReplyDelete